Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Delicious Autumn Treat

One thing I really enjoy doing but never seem to have enough time to do is, baking, I use to do it all the time on Thursday's because it's "Grey's" night and my sisters and friend come over to pig out and watch T.V.

This past Thursday I thought I would put aside the chores for awhile and bake. Last year for Thanksgiving I made a pumpkin cream cheese pie and I also wanted to make pumpkin muffins with a cream cheese filling but, I never got around to it (I can't get enough of anything with a cheese filling...Yum!). So this year I decided to give the muffins a try, and they were delicious!

Here is the recipe I followed ( I altered it a little for myself), I found it through Pinterest, but the original recipe is from Gourmade At Home.



Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling
2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, or to taste (I added 1 tablespoon, I might add a little more next time)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup pumpkin puree (I think I would add a touch more next time)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup buttermilk (I didn't have butter milk so I substituted it with a milk and lemon juice mix)
1 egg + 1 egg white
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
1 Tbls confectioners sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray muffin tins with non-stick spray (I like to use the muffin wrappers so it's easy to remove).
 In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese with 1 tbls confectioners sugar. Set aside.

In a medium-sized bowl combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt.


In another bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, sugar, oil, buttermilk, egg, egg white, and vanilla.


Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, being careful not to over mix.
Fill muffin cups 1/2 of the way full with batter mixture. Place a dollop of the cream cheese mixture in the center of each muffin then fill the rest with batter so it is about 3/4 full.




Sprinkle some crushed pecans on top, or other desired toppings.


Bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins cool for 10 minutes.

Britt also made some cute autumn cupcake toppers, but couldn't resist putting them on these muffins... You can download them for free over on her blog.



Enjoy your delicious autumn treat!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

YUM! These sound soooo good! I love baking too... but of course with the little munchkin around, I haven't really found the time to do it. One day soon! :)