Monday, October 10, 2011

Thanksgiving Dinner

This weekend has been packed with family gatherings, on Thursday last week Britt, her friend, Nikki and her boyfriend and my mom came over to my house for thanksgiving dinner.

My mom bought a butter ball turkey that I made in the slow cooker, and we also had ham that I made in the slow cooker. For sides I made scalloped potatoes (recipe), roasted vegetables and ceaser salad.


Easy Scalloped Potatoes

6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
1 small onion, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk, 1/2 cup at a time. Heat to boiling. Boil and stir 1 minute.

Arrange potatoes in greased 2 quart casserole in 3 layers, topping each layer with part of the chopped onions and 1/3 of the sauce. Dot the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, broken into little pieces.

Cover and bake until potatoes are tender, about 60-70 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minute before serving.

Serves 6 



Inspiration for recipe was from my cook book The Really Useful Cook Book, by David Herbert. I didn't fallow it exactly, I also just estimated on how much veggies I would need to serve everyone.

Carrots, sliced
Red onion, sliced
Cloves of garlic, diced
Zucchini
Asparagus
Chives
Tomatoes
Mushrooms
Pepper
Olive oil
Any other spices you would like


Directions
Preheat oven to 200c.

Place the vegetables in a roasting tin, drizzle with oil and season with spices

Roast for 40-45 minutes

add any fresh herbs.

Everything was delicious! It was my first time making scalloped potatoes and they were delicious, it was a very simple recipe.

How was your thanksgiving? Did you eat a lot of delicious food?

No comments: