Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Cookies in a Jar

A couple of  weekends ago I made some presents to hand out to family members, I put the dry ingredients to make a Christmas cookie in a canister. It is a perfect and inexpensive gift to give and you don't have to spend hours baking them all (I did that last year and it took a long time). Of course I baked a batch before I made the canisters, just to make sure they taste delicious.


I purchased the canisters from Dollarama ($2 each which was a steal), the ribbon was from Wal-mart (about $2), the ordainment was from my work ($1 each), labels are from Britt (free) the ingredients are from Zehrs (I also had some), I probably spent about $10 there ( m&m's are expensive so I went with smarties). I made 5 canisters so in total it cost about $27...Not bad for 5 families! (it was those darn smarties that cost so much).

I found this recipe on pinterest, but the original recipe is from Bakerella. (it has been altered slightly)

Christmas Cookies

 1/3 cup all purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup & leveled
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooking oats
3/4 cup Smarties (or m&ms)
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I divided white chocolate and dark chocolate)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar


On the back of the ordainment I wrote the directions to finish the recipe


Stir all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
Add
1 slightly beaten egg
1/2 cup butter (melted slightly in the microwave)
1 teaspoon vanilla



Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Use the back of a large spoon to work it all together. You may even need to use your hands to get everything incorporated.

Then roll the cookie dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, place on a parchment covered baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. 




I would have loved to use red and green m&m's but it would have cost $20 in m&m's alone just to do the 5 canisters!! (crazy if you ask me)

Check out the great labels Britt made for me.....


Click this link (http://bit.ly/s7QPeb) to download Christmas cookie labels....And a big thanks to Britt for making them!!

No comments: