Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Pops

On Saturday we had our first family Christmas party (the start to many!).  My little guy had a blast seeing family, eating, playing and of course opening presents.

I love getting together with family! there is always lots of food to eat at these gatherings and I pig-out like crazy (more then I should).

For Saturday I made Christmas cake pops, they were delicious and a great treat for the kids, they loved them!


These are simple to make but I had some help making them from Nikki (my sister), I also got the recipe from her (she made them a few weeks ago at my house with the little guy).

I got the idea to stick a candy cane in them (as the stick) from seeing it done on pinterest.

Christmas Cake Pops Recipe

Ingredients


1 pkg-        Presidents Choice Red Velvet cake (follow instructions on pkg)
11/2 cups-   Butter cream icing or cream cheese icing
Compound Chocolate for dipping (any colours you would like, I used white, red and green)
Approximately 40 Small candy canes (be careful not to break them)

Directions
Follow directions on package of ready-made cake mix....

Bake according to package. 
When it is done baking crumble the cake and let cool for about 15 min. 
Put cake in a large bowl and add butter cream icing, mix well. Roll cake into 1 inch balls.


Melt chocolate on low heat, stir constantly so it doesn't burn. Once all the chunks are melted let it sit for 2-3 minutes so you can get a thick coating of chocolate. Dip cake balls into melted chocolate.

To add sprinkled chocolate to the top just melt a second and third colour and splatter it on with a spatula or spoon. 

Place in freezer for 15 min or until chocolate has hardened. 


To insert candy canes use a toothpick to make a hole (try not to crack the chocolate) once the hole is big enough insert the candy cane.


What is your favourite food to eat at Christmas time?

No comments: