Thursday, December 22, 2011

DIY Christmas Gift

I came across this idea on pinterest a few weeks ago and I thought it would make a great gift for a few people in my family. It is glass candle holders with famly photos mod podged to them.



It is very inexpensive and simple to make, all you need is...

  • White tissue paper
  • scissors
  • glue stick
  • mod podge 
  • foam brush
  • glass candle holders
  • pictures
  • printer
  • computer
  • computer paper
First pick the pictures you would like to use (I did mine in a sepia tone so they don't look so dark), Take a piece of white tissue paper and cut it so it is just a little larger then a sheet of paper. Next you want to fold the tissue paper around a piece of computer paper so it will feed through you printer (glue the edges down).

Next cut out the image to the desired size (I printed a 4"x6" photo and trimmed it a little). 

Take your glass candle holder and apply a light coat of mod podge to it (make sure not to make it to wet or the photo will absorb to much glue). 

Place the photo on the candle holder and smooth it out. 

Once it dries apply another light coat of mod podge on top of the photo, it gives it a glossy finish and hardens it so it won't rip.




And what you get....Is nice personalized gift for someone special!



I got the glass candle holders from Dollarama for $2 a piece, the tissue paper and foam brush was also from there and they were $1 each. I had mod podge and everything else at home (you can get mod podge at any craft store). I made 6 candle holders, so it cost me $14 (not bad at all!) 

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you remove the computer paper and glue the tissue?

Amanda Cromwell said...

Anonymous- Yes, I removed the computer paper first then glued the tissue paper.

Anonymous said...

What kind of Mod Podge did you use?

Anonymous said...

If you want either a matte or glossy look Hobby Lobby or any craft store sells both in an actual "Mod Podge" brand. Amanda said hers had a glossy finish, which is probably prefered because it looks more like glass. It's personal preference really.

Anonymous said...

Gloss vs matte is probably preferred because it's on glass. Personal preference really. :)

Amanda Cromwell said...

The Mod Podge that I used for this project was a matte finish. I got it from Michaels Craft Store. I would also say it would be personal preference for what kind of finish you want.

Micaela Silverio said...

Do you know the size of the candle holders you used? I found some online that say 3" and wanted to know if yours were about thr same.

marie said...

what is tissue paper?

Anonymous said...

I love this idea and tried it but the tissue paper ripped in my printer and now I can't get my printer to work!!!!!!

Amanda Cromwell said...

Marie- I used white tissue paper that you put in a gift bag to wrap a present. I hope that helps!

Amanda Cromwell said...

Micaela- The candle holders I used were 3"x3" square.

Anonymous said...

Did you use white tissue paper because it is easier to see through? Or can I use another color as well?

Amanda Cromwell said...

I used white just because of preference, I didn't try using a colour. You could give it a try! A colour tissue paper would look nice but I would stick to light pastel colours otherwise it might not show up when you print on it.

Ali Wilson said...

Thanks for this! I just made 6 for a rehearsal dinner and used their engagement photos. They turned out great!

Jodye said...

Did you use a laser or do matrix printer?

Unknown said...

Great idea!!! Just made 4 for my father's 75th birthday dinner table with the grandkids pix. Came out amazing!!!

Liz said...

great idea!!! you should not have Any wrinkles.. iron it if your not sure!!

Anonymous said...

thank you for the great idea!!! Worked awesome!

Michele O'Neill said...

Isn't the Mod Podge supposed to dry clear? I made one of these yesterday and it dried white!

Cassie Rodriguez said...

I don't currently own a printer. Could I do it without it being tissue paper? Like a picture I print out from like a walgreens?

Alva T said...

Can you list instructions for this? I don't know how to start or finish? And I know someone who would love this

Anonymous said...

You could also use vellum paper rather than tissue paper so you don't risk the tissue paper getting stuck. Tissue paper is a cheaper alternative if you already have printed paper. When using the tissue paper you have to make sure you glue the edges a little tight so there isn't slack for it to get caught in the printer. I've never tries either, just using common sense. Also, someone said about listing instructions..she did. If you've never used ModgePodge maybe try something a little easier to start and learn how it works. Also if it dried white, you either got the color tinted one or used way to much.

Unknown said...

this is a stupid question, do I put the tissue paper on the side the picture is going to print or the other?

Amanda Cromwell said...

The side the picture is going to print on, I printed directly on the tissue paper :)

Kelli Britt said...

If I use vellum paper would I still use ModgePodge? Above someone noted if I haven't used ModgePodge maybe try something a little easier, what would be an alternative to ModgePodge?

Anonymous said...

when i print on vellum it's too washed out. any thoughts? should i start with the photo darker than i would normally like it?

Anonymous said...

I made one of these with a round container from the dollar store. Printed on vellum and used double sided tape to hold the picture on the inside, then put a battery powered candle inside, and it turned out great!

HopeLynn Adkins said...

Do you put the photo on the glass face down tissue out or tissue in photo out?